Friday, April 18, 2008

After the Program




My certificate and medallion



Photos courtesy of David W. Smith.


I never thought today's program for Honors and Awards Ceremony at Brockport would be a long one. David and I thought it would be just a snap. It turned out that it was a formal ceremony honoring students' achievements. Good thing I brought my formal shirt and coat with me. I was just going to wear ordinary clothes when I saw these kids in ties and suits at the hallway at the Union, the girls in dresses. Well, some were just in their shorts and slippers. A tranny mess, I guess.







Good thing it didn't rain on my parade.


The deans, chairs and professors of the school were present, wearing their togas. The students assembled at the second floor of the Union, then we paraded down the hallway going to the ballroom. While we were walking towards the ballroom, the professors were cheering and clapping and smiling at us. Wow, I never thought it would that "grand."








We were told to ascend the stage and give our slips bearing our names and awards. We shook hands with President Halstead and other higher school officials. Then just next to the stage we were given out certificates and medallions. Bongga! The last time I had this nice feeling when I won a big trophy in a poetry competition and cash prize when I won first prize in an essay competition. And oh, when I was named a fellow of a literary workshop back home. But those were some years ago.




Brockport's esteemed professors.







Me shaking the University President's hand.




However, there were a lot of speeches. It was like attending a press conference of a congressman or senator when I was still reporting for Sun.Star back home, that you wish it would be over so you can eat the meal and head back to the newsroom so you can do your report. I was just praying for the program to be over because I was so hungry. Like hungry hungry. I had attended my classes and walked from one building to another before heading to the awarding ceremony. David took me to school so I didn't have to wake up at 5 a.m. to catch the bus. Thanks David!


Communication Chair Joseph Chesebro, in his speech, said President Halstead has the coolest bling ever.


However, David had to go back after dropping me off at school because he forgot to turn off the faucet when he ran the laundry machine. And he was freaking out. He was like Beatty Davis whose hair was being pulled by Joan Crawford. But he came back later and took pictures of the program. Again, thanks David! I should have acted like Cathy Griffin, like avoiding the paparazzi.





The reception after the awarding ceremony.








We later hit the road, but not to Pittsford. We head straight to Red Osher. It was so far away from where we came from I was praying a miracle would happen along the way - like a manna from heaven would fall or some of the crows would bring me some unleavened bread. When we arrived at the restaurant, but the girl at the counter said we have to wait or two hours to be seated. Ha! So head back and took our chances in that little diner we saw along the way. It turned to be the right choice. Fish fry friday! We always had this "day" when Greenhouse was still operating at the Holiday Inn Airport. The haddock we had was so good I ate it all up even before the server had the chance to check us out.


Then we roamed around Roberts Wesleyann College because one of our friends at church goes there for his religious education. And you know David, checking out all the gas prices then freaking out. But he'd drive around and around and around... wait, I'm getting dizzy.


And tomorrow we're going to Hornell to visit his parents' grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment