Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Panaad sa Negros Festival

This week is Negros Occidental's celebration of the Panaad sa Negros Festival. "Panaad" means "promise" or "devotion." This is an annual event where the 13 cities and 19 municipalities of Negros Occidental showcase their products and events in one area. The Panaad sa Negros is being held in one venue, the Panaad Sports Stadium in Barangay Mansilingan, Bacolod City. I know this place very well because my father and I used to go on biking there. Most if not all cities and municaplities have their own booths in the area so it is a wonderful adventure when you come to the event. Usually, most activities are being held in the evening. People from all over the world visit the place and have fun. Of course, fun means food, buying native products or watching shows.


I used to cover the Lin-ay sang Negros beauty pageant. It means "Belle of Negros" or more appropiately "Queen of Negros." Beauty queens represent their own city and town. The last pageant I saw was with Miss International Precious Lara Quigaman sa guest.


I am hoping that the tourism officers of Negros will post videos of the event on YouTube.com. However, if they can't even replace the picture of former Governor Joseph Maranon, who passed away this year, on the province's website, I don't think they can even upload the video. Governor Maranon was a jolly person. I didn't cover the Capitol beat but at times when there were special assignments I'd be sent to cover the event. Governor Maranon would be present to greet the participants. He officiated the marriage of our former Chief Reporter, Avelyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment