Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Because They're Filipinos

David and I were walking around a store last week when I noticed a video being played at the electronics area. It was Arnel Pineda, new member of the famed rock band Journey. I read an article about him on GQ magazine or was it Men's Vogue (I have to check my copies of the magazines, of course), complete with photo spread. His voice is phenomenal. But I cannot really say that he is one of a kind. There are a multitude of singers in the Philippines who can outsing Mr. Pineda. However, they only need to be discovered. I mean, every nook and corner of villages back home hold singing contests, not counting the multitude of singing competitions hosted by big television networks. Also, there are a lot of karaoke bars where Filipinos could their hearts out. How many people have died singing Frank Sinatra's "My Way"? You know, drunk karaoke singers trying to outdo each other. On the other hand, let us Pinoys be assured that if we cannot conquer the world in beauty pageants, we can conquer it through songs. Belt out guys!




Arnel Pineda, lead vocalist of Journey:



Charice, formerly Charice Pempengco:



Charlie Green, Britain's Got Talent semi-finalist:



apl.de.ap of Black Eyed Peas:


Regine Velasquez in Reno, Nevada:



and a lot more!

No comments:

Post a Comment