Monday, January 22, 2007

Memories of My Melancholy Chores

BROCKPORT, New York -- "Man, did you watch the game last night? It was something," a tall young man said to his friend who was sitting in the opposite side of the bus. He narrated the brawling scene in a football game last week. I can tell he enjoyed it, even describing it as a "carnival." I reclined on my seat and looked out to the window. I remember the days when I was still covering sports events. I made friends with coaches, players, referees, fans, sports magnates and officials. I remember the perks like free tickets, gifts, trips and other stuff without having to beg or act like it is the last thing in world you need, taking the best seat in the game, going in the venue without elbowing with the crowd, interviewing sports stars without having stopped by the security officers. Covering sports events is a glamorous job but it has a dark side that makes me wince. It has been a year since I stopped watching any game. I felt sad for the young men who found the brawling scene amazing, like it was the best part of the game. I have watched the incident in the news. I have witnessed more gruesome incidents. Right before your eyes you witness athletes scramble to the floor like they were uncivilized baboons fighting over a piece of twig. I am saddened by the fact that what is being taught at school does not apply in the real sports arena. An athlete is treated like a soldier. Crush the enemies. I hate to hear sports officials say in opening programs that such event will promote camaraderie and fitness. Solidarity among athletes had become a worn term that they leave underneath the benches. What I see in the arena are bulls hungry to topple down the matador. My heart is full of burden as I see coaches and fans encourage them to clobber each other. When pushed to the limit, it strains their ego and nothing is more appropriate than to carry such burden into a hard punch. A "good event" means seeing a bloody scene where the audience participates in the brawl. Fans become generous by throwing coins at the crowd when they're not satisfied with the game. Even age-group categories are not spared by this dilemma. But what you see are parents who get disoriented. It becomes a family-disoriented affair. Age-group events are supposed to be a learning experience. Yes, you learn lessons seeing parents, grandparents and nannies get so involved with the game that they become like "barbarians." It's embarrassing but they couldn't care less, they only wanted to get back what they paid for. Instead of promoting fair play and values, sports activities could become an avenue to discover potential lawbreakers and models for criminals.

(Published in Sun.Star Bacolod Oct. 21, 2006 under my column, The Mango Generation)

No comments:

Post a Comment