Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Too True To Be Good

(With apologies to George Bernard Shaw)

NIAGARA FALLS, CANADA – It was only about an hour and a half since I was granted a visa from the Canadian Embassy in Buffalo, New York but here I am, enjoying the mist of the world-famous Niagara Falls. It was not in my immediate plan to visit Canada but was “sweetly” compelled by my sponsor, Mr. David William Smith, to secure the stamp for so many valid reasons. As school doesn’t starts until the 28th I might as well visit the country when I have the time. On the other hand, I could use the visa to attend some important events. But I did not expect that it wouldn’t be too soon. In fact, when Mr. Smith informed me a day before that we will be going to Buffalo to visit the Canadian Embassy, I was only thinking that we will be getting some papers, fill it out and head back home and wait for my visa approval. Such was the case I underwent in the Philippines for the processing for my US visa. It is, however, not with this case as on a clear day in August we traversed Route 104 on our way to Buffalo, called as the Queen City of New York. One should have the patience to endure a two-hour travel. And hear this – make your way to the bathroom before heading for the trip as there will be no stopovers along the highway. I’ve learned my lesson on that. It was only later, about four hours after that I get the chance to empty my bladder as we had to wait at the lobby of the HSBC Tower before we could be ushered to the 30th Floor of the building where the Canadian embassy is located. Yes, Ambo, for security reasons, no public toilet was installed at the lobby. No special treatment there even if you are connected with the President or any other Congressman. Worse, most buildings along the avenue are private offices and you cannot just make your way in. Well, to make the story short, after about two and a half hours (though my interview took only about three minutes as I have valid documents at hand) my passport bore a multiple entry visa stamp.
To my surprise, we did not head back home. Instead, Mr. Smith who has been gracious enough to drive me around Rochester (and whom I “blame” for the tan I have now for the nearly every day trips) drove towards “The Peace Bridge” which links the two countries. Yes, Ambo, I no longer looked like a new-age Filipino whose skin is pale for not getting enough exposure to sunlight. I have embraced the calling of our roots; I am now comparative to N!xau, the legendary star of “The Gods Must Be Crazy” (and when I look in the mirror I could note some resemblance). But summer days in America could be likewise trivial as it could be dry and the wind blows cold (that answers my query as to why most Americans prefer to bask under the sun even at lunch time).
In Canada, the wind is as cold as ice, especially if you take the road along the river. It is an alternative road that offers scenic spots and less tedious than the main highway. Mr. Smith and I took our time looking at magnificent houses built overlooking the river. Minutes after the survey (and a picnic along the river) we found ourselves at Niagara Parkway, the road that leads you to the scenic wonder of the Niagara Falls.
The falls is Canada’s main popular destination. The crescent-shaped rapids, also called the “Horseshoe”, is 54 meters or 177 feet high. It also said to carry nine times more water than its United States counterpart, the American Falls, and the main source of electricity for Ontario, Canada. The falls are divided by Goat Island.
The city of Niagara Falls is teeming with tourists, the area boasts of hotels and restaurants as well as scenic spots. For the lack of time, and parking space, we drove through the main road keeping an eye on some place of interest as we’d likely be coming back here for another visit. We visited Niagara-on-the-Lake, a beautiful community that is rich in history and agriculture (see http://www.niagaraonthelake.com/), for a moment of repose. The place is celebrating its Shaw Festival and Niagara Wine Festival. No wonder that we saw press people in one of its well-known winery. The Shaw Festival is a tribute to George Bernard Shaw, the Irish playwright and winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1925 and the Academy Award in 1938 for Pygmalion. Among his plays that are being staged at the festival are “High Society”, “The Heiress”, and “Arms and the Man”. Well, we will be coming back for the festival next week to see one of his plays.
Though we only had about three hours to survey Niagara Falls, however, it was worth it.
To learn more about Niagara Falls, visit http://www.city.niagarafalls.on.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment