Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Some Consolation

Our dear friend,Frieda, who's turning 104 this year, has relocated to a new residence. After she passed out and cracked her vertebrae about three weeks ago she needed daily assistance. Her children have their own families and cannot tend to her daily needs so she went into assisted-living. Her new home is just next to her former home.

We have visited her a several times since her transfer. Her face would lite up when she sees David. They would hold hands and tell each other jokes, which, she said, she cannot do with her children. She told David that she loves him like her own son. David had been her caregiver for during winter months - driving her to Wegman's (her favorite grocery store), setting up her doctor's appointments (in a snap, "he has magic" to quote her), and took her out to restaurants (they would have onion soup).

Lately she told David: "You're the best thing that ever happened to me. And I would say it over and over again until I die... And I hope it is tomorrow."

She has been hoping to die, but to die healthy.

"Don't you think I have stayed in this world for a long time?" she'd say.

I told David to tell her that there's a waiting list in heaven like waiting for a slot in an old folks home. Heaven is too crowded for now. Didn't I hear her say that some saint can be transferred to hell so she could have a spot in heaven? Now, I must have made that up in my mind.

She's so funny when she's talking with David. She surely finds comfort in his visits and perks up like her old self. She still can recall her children and grandchildren's birthdays. Her mind's so sharp and alert. David and I are praying that she'll be able to walk unassisted again soon so we could go out and have lunch at her favorite place. And have our onion soup because I don't think they serve that in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment