Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Viva Villa

I was so delighted having read Filipino award-winning writer Ian Casocot's report about Jose Garcia Villa's new book. It's aptly titled: Dove, Eagle, Lion and published by Penguin. I went to the Barnes and Noble bookstore near our place right away and asked where I could find the copies. Sadly, I didn't read carefully the publication date on the B&N Web site. The store clerk browsed through their file and pointed out that the book will be released on the 29th. I was hoping to grab a copy if I still have some credit left from my Barnes and Noble/BASC scholarship this semester. Or else I will have to borrow it from the library.

I have a copy of the Penguin catalogue (which I picked up from the English Dept. at school. Some professor didn't want it and put it on the table outside the dept. where free books are usually stacked. Oh, yeah, most professors at school are literary reviewers and when they get tired of some books they "share" them to whoever's interested). My copy only registered Jose Rizal's Noli Me Tangere. I am delighted that Villa's poetry collection made it this year.


I am a Villa fan. I value my copy of his final poetry volume, Selected Poems and New. I also love my copies of Critical Villa by Jonathan Chua and Doveglion and Other Cameos by Quijano de Manila (pen name of the late National Artist for Literature Nick Joaquin). I even borrowed from the school's library over and over again Villa's first short story collection published in America, Footnote to Youth. It is the only copy here in Rochester and I was so happy to have read it. It is always a pleasure reading his stories and poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment