Saturday, October 4, 2008

I told you I'm not Chinese

Friday, the winter chill of autumn manifests and the leaves begin to fall. I have a love-hate relationship with autumn. The cold, cold air reminds me of loneliness. I do not wish to share this plight with other people. I am alone in this journey.

Ha, am I trying to revive my creative self? Not really. But last Friday was colder than the witch's tit, as David would say. It is time for long-sleeved shirts, coats and gloves.


While I was minding my own business a professor, of Indian ethnicity I know because I have browsed through his Web page, stopped and asked, "Where you from?" I, of course, was startled because I was not ready for such instance, especially when his English has a thick Indian accent. Without waiting for my answer, he asked me aloud, enough for the whole campus to hear, "Are you from China?"

Oh no, I said in my mind. Not again. Please Lord God have mercy. Last year I experienced the same incident when a lady thought I come from China. Few months later my classmate thought I'm from Mexico. Now, David said I am the "universal man".

"I'm from the Philippines!" I replied. I would have told him that our race have two Miss Universe title holders, developed the flourescent bulb, and designed the first lunar vehicle. No, I was humble enough. I didn't even reveal that I used to collect live centipedes in a bottle, my ethnic composition was performed before high school music teachers from around the country when I was in high school, a fellow for poetry in English, my poems were published in national magazines, and I have a column. No, I am humble.

"Oh," he said. "My very good friend is from the Philippines. I will let him know that there's another Filipino in the campus." I smiled. Okay, because I am hoping I could find another Filipino in school whom I can play luksong-tinik with, do the otso-otso and halukay ube dance craze, and share sinigang recipe. Now, I wonder if I can do those things in the near future.

Let's hope.

[more reflections on this when I have the urge]

3 comments:

  1. Nel, are witches' tits really cold? :-) Great writing, FCR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. Hello Miss Michelle. It is one of David's expressions. One time he said, "This day is hotter than hell!" Our 103-year-old friend heard him and said, "Why, have you been to hell before?"

    I think I need to check on my speling and grammar. Yikes. This is what happens you write in an impulse. Thanks Miss and have a wonderful day!

    Are you going to see the Masskara festivities?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I'm not going to be at the Masskara Festival this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete