Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Activity

It snowed today. Real snow. Not the shredded styrofoam the malls back home spray on fake Christmas trees. Neither were they cotton balls my aunt usually put on her Christmas tree made of twigs and dried branches. No, these snows are real. Cold. Haunting.

The weather's nasty.

It is Thanksgiving Day. David and I dined in Baxter's at the Radison Hotel near RIT. It's a buffet dinner. The foods were set up outside the hall, the banquet rooms were converted into dining halls.

We feasted on turkey, ham, and roast beef. I liked the turkey better. I forgot to pour au jour on my roast beef. I really liked the pepperocini with my salad. If I shall die I want pepperocini plants on my grave.

I ate candied yams and liked it. It reminded me of home.

For dessert I had cheesecake and brownies.

A lot of families dined at the restaurant. David was wondering whether traditional Thanksgiving is being forgotten. Families usually eat at home - mom prepares the turkey (bought at Tops, Martin's or Wegman's), etc. I said it is daddy's treat to mommy - to celebrate the American holiday somewhere else. They don't have to worry washing the dishes after eating.

One man, about 5'7" and 400 lbs, wearing green shirt and pants which can be made into two tents, came huffing and puffing into the dessert room (which is the pool area converted into a another banquet hall). It was as if he'd collapse upon reaching the table. But he made it. I was going out with my cheesecake when he came in. Another super-pounder fellow had dumped two brownies, two pumpkin pies and a cheesecake on his small plate. Don't forget the whipped cream.

The man in green shirt was seated next to our table. He was with three other folks. You couldn't see the bottom of the chair he was sitting on. He could hatch three dozen turkey eggs in one sitting. David said the fellow wrapped a big turkey leg in the table napkin and put it under his coat. I said he will make it as a soup later on.

America is a well-fed nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment