Thursday, June 26, 2008

Farming Joys and Maladies

David and I were thrilled to see some plants growing around his lamppost on his lawn. Last year we had beautiful flowers around it. This year we are hoping to grow vegetables. We had butternut squash which I planted under the deck last year.


David thought it was butternut squash growing around the lamppost, but I told him I haven't planted any on the site. We were hitting our heads on the brick wall figuring what the little greens were. Then David hit the ceiling. He remembered, alas something David remembered, that he had set pumpkins out by the lamppost all winter. That solved the puzzle. Now, we're having pumpkins for the fall (it has started blooming).


Now, David is shooing the plant which has grown two feet. All because he doesn't want it to stretch on the lawn. The poor plant doesn't know where to crawl.


Under the deck we planted potatoes, butternut squash, and peppers. Yes, ladies and gentleman, David and I are going green! Beat that!


Unfortunately, a chipmunk has been digging the butternut seeds. The same chipmunk that havocs the birdfeed on the birdfeeder I set out in front of my room's window. Yes, I see that culprit everyday munching on the sunflower seeds and cracked corn I reserved for the birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment