Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Viva Mamma Mia!

I don't know which version I like better: Mamma Mia! The Musical or Mamma Mia! The Movie. DAvid and I wwatched Mamma Mia! The Musical last year at the Mandalay Bay Theatre (not at the Bellagio as I told my friends). I was hesitant to see it at first because I was just thinking that it is just one based on the ABBA hits. It turned to be fascinating and enchanting. I ended up dancing at the end of the show. And the ABBA songs are still ringing in my mind. Who can forget "Dancing Queen" and "Mamma Mia" which have become, in some way, the standard songs in drag shows. Or "Thank You For The Music" and "I Have A Dream" which have been sung over and over by beauty pageant contestants on the talent portion.

The Vegas Musical starred Libby Winters as Sophie Sheridan and Carol Linnea Johnson as Donna Sheridan with Patrick Sarb as Sophie's beau Sky. Aside from the wonderful choreography and superb vocals I was awed by the stage set - part of the floor elevate and functions as the port, second floor of a house, etc.


Now the movie version is a bit technical - it concentrated on the acting rather than the music. Let's face it, Meryl Streep is a great actress but she's not a singer. Pierce Brosnan, on the other hand, has his hairy chest to make up for his so-so singing ability. What matters is that most of the old folks who watched with us where thumping including an old man, who sat next to David, who probably enjoyed the movie the most.

1 comment:

  1. I was coerced into seeing Mamma Mia (the play), which ended up being great... as for the movie version, sounds fun, though it's awkward to think of ol' Pierce trying to sing, yeeesh

    ReplyDelete