Thursday, October 16, 2008

Au Revoir, Frieda!

Our dear, dear friend Frieda was finally laid to rest yesterday. I was at school though. Nevertheless, I said my prayers for God to comfort those who grieve with her passing. I am one of those people.

Dear Frieda, you could have lived until 110 years old. But you said you've lived long enough and considered your other friends who already passed before you "lucky" as they joined God ahead of you.

Remember when David and I used to tease you that there's a waiting list in heaven? That you cannot die yet because you still have a mission. Now that you've joined the Lord, I guess He has prepared a bigger and most comfortable room for you.

I am hoping that you and Norma are having tea and onion soup right now, looking down at us and smiling. I miss your smile. It was the most sincere smile.

I hope you also have the chance to meet my father who passed away last February. He must be keeping heaven green and kissing old ladies' foreheads. He loved taking to old ladies. If you see him please tell him how much I love him. You two, I'm sure, will be the best of friends. You could talk about farming, raising goats and chickens. He can cook a delicious meal for you. You will never go hungry and sad when you're around my father. He took care of my grandparents, he will take care of you, too.

My Frieda, I miss the cookies and your warm hands. I hope when we meet again you will hold my hands and we could talk about life.

Tell Norma I said hello and keep Carol Ann away from trouble (tell her she could blow smoke on St. Peter's rooster). And tell Miss Ruth I am keeping David company (both in the kitchen and grocery store). You two can share recipes. If Marcia comes around tell her I love her, too.

Till we meet again, indeed.

***

To read about my interview with Frieda, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment