Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Do I look like a Chinaman?




The banquet was over. Everyone was leaving the room, except for several who stayed for a little chit-chat. I saw an old lady trying to unknot a string from a vase. The balloon was bright blue with a nice print on it. I thought an old lady must think it nice enough to give it to her grandchild. After several minutes she was still trying to untie it. I approached her and offered help. I took me about two minutes to untie the string. During that time her husband came over. He said, "What a noble thing for you to do that." I just smiled.

I gave the balloon to the little old lady.

She said, "Thank you. It was nice of you to come here all the way from China."

Oops!

I told her I am not from China, but from the Philippines. And what a small world it is. Her husband revealed to me that they were in the Philippines years ago. He said he was in a conference, teaching ministers. I didn't ask him if he's a pastor or what. He said they also visited Mindanao, but were advised to leave the place because of threat to security.

Later, when I came home I told David about the incident. He laughed. But I cannot contain myself. I went to the bathroom and looked at my face in the mirror. I don't look like Chinese nor do I walk like one. I love eating at the Chinese buffet here, but that hasn't turned me into a Chinaman. I use items here that are made in China (well, most of the items here are made in China. When an American finds an item that says on the bottom "Made in USA" they jump as if they found an antique object).

Maybe I look like Mongoloid. I don't know.

2 comments:

  1. Nel, to the uninitiated, all Asians are Chinese. Mongoloids come from China; so do Mongol pencils. Beautiful vignette here. -- MPS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miss Michelle. One of David's friends even asked me if I can tell the differences between Asians by looking at how they walk. I said I don't really know. At times one will notice that Japanese men walk different than Chinese men. I can't really describe it here.

    Well, you can tell from afar that it's me by the way I walk! He he...

    But it is comforting to know that there a lot of people who had been to the Philippines and appreciated the hospitality of our people.

    I do hope nobody will ask me if I am Korean. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete