Monday, January 21, 2008

Post-Disney 'Jitters'

I'm back! Like who cares? Well, David and I went to Florida for a week's vacation. It was a hectic and tiring vacation, primarily because we went to Disneyworld(!). It was one of David's quicker-than-lightning decisions. I was telling him that the gray weather of Rochester is depressing. Next thing I know he booked our trips to Florida.


We visited three theme parks - Epcot, MGM and Animal Kingdom. We decided to forego with the plan of visiting Magic Kingdom because the way the guidebook describes makes us cringe. If we have to assess it Magic Kingdom would be "exclusive" for kids. Okay, okay, David and I are both kids at heart but we decided to visit Magic Kingdom next time. Instead, we went to Cocoa Beach after swerving through several good sites to be visited next time, like Nasa Space Center etc. It was nice to see the Atlantic Ocean in all its splendor. However, it was too windy and cold to go in the water. Although the sun was shining the climate felt like mild winter in Florida. Days before our trip to Cocoa Beach we visited David's sister in law in Ocala. David's younger brother, Big Tim, was in Ocala too with his wife for a brief visit. They were going on a cruise the next day we visited them in Ocala. We had a nice lunch at Sylvia's house, David's deceased older brothers wife. There I came to love green olives. It was nice to hear their conversation - like "do you remember this and that" especially that David is fond of "trivializing" with other people's memory. Sometimes David would just ask, "Do you remember this dish that so and so made?" or "Do you remember that she had these set of pots and pans?" etcetera. Well, most of the time he can't remember where he put his things in the house but he remembers what happened in the past (to the finest detail).


Anyway, back to our Disney adventure I must say that was a very tiring and indulging affair. I was amazed with how the Disney bigshots planned the whole structure of the parks - even the entry and exit doors. They made the entry-ways so long and mazelike that you have to walk long ways to get to the main door. It is unlike other parks that by the time to head back for another ride you'd be out of breath. No wonder people say - "we have to visit the park another time." I even heard two young girls say, "This is the biggest park ever!" I can't argue with them. Take note: you have to do cardiac test, a lot of exercise "work-on-those-abs" (and legs) or even do a lot of marathon to survive the stress of going from one ride or show to another.


David and I were also amazed that a lot of elderly people visit the park. I saw one man, probably in his 70s or 80s, pushing his walker, not minding the packed crowd. It was as if he was thinking, "I don't care if you crush me you flukes! I've got to see Mickey in the flesh before I diiieeee!" At Epcot, we saw Snow White signing autographs and posing for pictures with the kids and their families. Only one dwarf was with her. David was wondering where the other dwarves went. I was about to tell him but didn't that as they were next to Germany's building, the other dwarves might have thought of earning extra money by working as beer servers. Octoberfest dahlings!

Well, so much for the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment