Monday, January 22, 2007

Where are the people?

ROCHESTER, NEW YORK - It is a week since I arrived in Rochester but I still cannot contain my amazement. Good thing I didn't suffer from a jet lag unlike all the other travels I made. Although, the 13-hour flight from Manila to Los Angeles, California was an experience. Nevertheless, it was worth it. I was not expecting that flight to be that long as I was confident it would be just a five-hour plane ride considering the international date-line stuff but it turned out different. There are certain regulations that needed to be complied with at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport. It wasn't the same regulations we had to go through when I left for Bangkok, Thailand last year.
Like, going through severe inspection - standing along about a hundred or more passengers, removing your shoes and having your bags inspected thoroughly, among other security measures. Arggh! The 911 aftermath. I cannot complain as it was for our own safety. We left Manila at 8:30 p.m. Now, it was a relief that I brought my own food and other things that will keep me occupied while aboard the plane to LA. Yes, Ambo, you can bring foodstuff on board when you go to the US as long as it is not fresh fruits, meat products and other items stated in the State regulation. So, to think that I have several banana chips for David William Smith (my sponsor), which was given by Ms Tess, Sun.Star Bacolod's Business OIC, and several other chips, cookies and coffee with me. We arrived in LA at 7:15 p.m. (but it seemed 3 p.m. to me) in an airport much larger than Bacolod City. I was thankful enough that I went through the immigration smoothly unlike other passengers who have to stand by the corner waiting for their clearance. Next, I took a five-hour domestic flight from LA to Chicago. It was then on to another airline for another two-hour plane ride to get to my final destination. Yes, bring food with you or you will die of hunger as American airlines don't offer meals but pretzels and sodas, unless you have the big bucks to purchase food items at the airport. It was a clear day when I arrived at the Rochester International Airport. I am amazed by the expanse of the premise and the climate - it was as if I never left home. But it is awfully quiet. At the parking lot, which was half-filled with cars, I told Mr. Smith that if I scream everyone would probably hear me. Acting as a tour guide, Mr. Smith drove me downtown to get the feel of the city. I saw lots and lots of cars parked everywhere. But where are the people? With this, my sponsor laughed. They're at work, he said. It is quite unusual for me as Bacolod is teeming with people and now that I am in another place where you seldom see people walking around the street at daytime. I wonder what jobs they have. All the big buildings and beautiful stores, it should be teeming with people. As you know, the power of technology, it seems that the people in Rochester opt to purchase things thru the net by using their charge card and have the items delivered to their homes. Pittsford - that is the town where I will stay for about four years - is a quaint area. It is on French Road that Mr. Smith owns a house. You would likely say you are in a page of a magazine. Pittsford is the Beverly Hills of Rochester! It is a hallmark view, if you know what I mean. Houses that are totally picture perfect, with lawns that are always mowed, trees and flowers that are properly groomed. You will not, however, see the occupants parading in front of their houses. It is quiet in here! It is sad, however, to think that I missed the American Idol winners when they performed here just a day before I arrived. Rochester is a writer's paradise! One can finish a novel in a breeze (unless if one is off the road too often to admire other people's wonderful lawns and houses all the time). But no one really knows when inspiration will set in even if a writer is in a majestic place. Oh well. There are still a million things that will keep me amaze here. Oh, the deer, rabbits and woodchucks now come often in our backyard. I hope we'll become friends soon.

(Published in Sun.Star Bacolod July 31, 2006 under my column, The Mango Generation)

No comments:

Post a Comment