Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Of colds and other maladies

I need Jhumpha Lahiri to interpret my maladies. Are they product of my imagination or consequencies of what I've done? The cold bug got me this time. I"ve been in a lot os tress lately. Though I have my flu shot a week ago, however, it just proved that it cannot give you full immunity to several other strains of the flu virus. and to think that I caught the American strain. When I was back home I seldom get sick even if I work some 12 hours a day for the paper (starting from 2 p.m. until 1 a.m. the next day. I'd go home at 4 or 5 in the morning). With my exposure to so many bugs when I was doing my internship for my Medical Technology degree and my volunteer work for a non-governmental health care organization I thought I was immune to most bugs. I was wrong.

Or maybe I was just stressed out. I haven't had any good sleep for days. I have received a message from my friends at the newspaper that my father was admitted to the hospital on Monday. We are middle class people. We cannot afford the high cost of medical bills, especially that my mother admitted my father to a private hospital. As the first-born son I am obligated to send money and help in the expenses. I called home last Tuesday and talked with my younger brother who is living with my parents. He was left to look after my grandmother who has been living with us after she suffered partial paralysis due to a stroke in the late 90s. My brother had to file a leave of absence from his work. Now, my concern is - my father's hospital expenses were beyond my expectation! Though I have sent some amount to cover expenses it wasn't even half of what they've sharged for his hospitalization bills. I have to find ways how to pay the remaining balance. God, I don't know what to do.
Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment