Friday, February 22, 2008

The Truth and Nothing But the Truth...

so help me God.

I read this article in The New York Times today. It is about retired priest, Rodney L. Rodis who was sentenced to five years for bilking two churches in the US. It appeared that Rodis has a wife and three daughters. He is Filipino.

The news doesn't shock me. My mother's friends used to play mahjong with a lady who is the wife of a priest. They have a son. I also recall the confession of a Filipino actor that his father is a retired priest. The actor has four other siblings from the same father. I don't think there was anything wrong with having a wife and children when you are a church leader. However, Rodis's fault was taking out money from the church coffer to support his family and not being a family man.
I hope the Roman Catholic diocese will realize that to become an effective "father" you have to become one. It seems that the influence of Spanish friars during the Spanish occupation is still eminent.

The report also said that Rodis, 51, has diabetes and prostate cancer.


Will Rodis be able to save his name and reputation if he'll let people see him pray 1,000 "Our Father" and 10,000 "Hail Mary"?

No comments:

Post a Comment