Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Deer Hunter

I was having breakfast today when I saw several deer jumping and strutting on the snow in the backyard. It was a marvelous sight. You seldom see them come out in the open, especially in the morning looking for food. You might seem out in the country where are a lot of bushes and secluded area to protect them from harm. But there are bushes in David's backyard and a sort-of mini-forest just down the road near the nuns' place. My excitement notwithstanding I ran to David's room and pointed to him where the gorgeous creatures were. And I had to run to my room to get my camera and fortunately I was able to take a snapshot of the moment. There were funny when they galloped (I hope this is the right term) away. David said, "they were in a single file with their tails wagging like a windshield wiper." And he wondered why they were in that order as we haven't seen them do that before. I said they probably don't want predators or even people to know that they were several of them who passed by that area- only one set of tracks will be found and that would probably fool everybody.



There were eight of them, although David said there were nine. It doesn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment