Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Learning from History

David did tell me last night he had to get up early for his doctor's appointment. But not too early when America was still living the moment after its first African-American president was inaugurated yesterday.

Yikes, David, was up and thumping around the house at 4 a.m. Then the garage door opened at 5:45 a.m. and I thought he has a laboratory appointment to go to before going to the doctor. Later, at 7 a.m. he came back - with a plastic bag in tow.

I asked, "How was the everything? " And looked for a bandage on his arm. He said he'll be at the doctor's office at 9 a.m. and the blood work was already done last week.

I wondered where he'd been? Apparently, he went to Barnes and Noble in Pittsford to purchase copies of newspapers- The New York Times, Democrat and Chronicle, and USA Today. It was afterall the day after the momentous inauguration.

"I've learned from the past," he said, his lips pursed and head shaking.

The day after Pres. Barack Obama won against John McCain last year the New York Times and other major publications were sold out in a whim. The next day copies of the papers were being sold on e-Bay for as much as $100 a copy. So, David, the former school teacher/librarian for 38 years went to the bookstore early in the morning and bought not one but two copies of each paper. O, he also bought a copy of The WallStreet Journal this evening.

I had to ask permission to read the contents. However, he somewhat got mad at me the way I folded the pages.

"You don't know how to fold newspapers properly," he thundered. Well, yeah, like I haven't worked for a newspaper before. Then he showed me how to put the pages back together properly.

"You're destroying your inheritance," he said.


Feast of newsprints

No comments:

Post a Comment